What's an Emergency?
- Emergencies range in scope and intensity from incidents that directly or indirectly affect a single student to ones that impact an entire community.
- They can happen before, during or after school and on or off school campuses.
Examples of Emergencies
- Stranger in the building
- Bomb threat/explosion
- Student with gun/weapon on campus
- Serious injury/death
- Serious fight
- Drug deal on campus
- Weapon possession
- Natural disasters
- Kidnapping/hostage taking
- Students, staff, & community must have means of communicating that is immediate, safe, & reliable
- Positive, respectful, predictable, trusting student-teacher-family relationships are important
- High rates of academic & social success are important
- Positive, respectful, predictable, trusting school environment/climate is important for all students
- Metal detectors, surveillance cameras, & security guards are insufficient deterrents
Emergency Preparedness Links